It’s feasible to get rid of scratches on a phone without paying to have an expert replace your screen. These scratch-removal methods can be used for any smartphone.
Hide The Scratches and Protect Your Screen
First, purchase a screen protector and apply it to your scratched screen. In some cases, this will hide hairline scratches. More importantly, it prevents the scratches from getting worse while protecting your screen from future scratches and cracks.
NOTE: While a display screen protector usually does a great job of hiding small scratches, if you have a deep scratch, it may only make it more noticeable by capturing an air bubble over the scratch, underneath the protector. However, the protector will make it simpler to use the screen beside your finger or stylus getting caught on scratch.
Fill The Scratches On your Phone With Glue
You can use epoxy, Gorilla, or super glue to fill in the scratches on your phone’s screen. The key is to use a small amount. Here’s how to use glue to fill in your screen scratches.
1. After covering the ports on your phone, use tape to protect the area around the scratch to prevent the glue from spilling into unscratched areas.
2. Apply a thin coat of glue to the area of the scratch.
3. Use a paint scraper to gently smooth the glue into the cracks.
4. Keep working and smoothing out the glue across the scratch until the glue hardens.
5. Once the glue has dried, use fingernail polish remover, and dabbed onto a cotton ball to wipe away the excess glue, being careful to keep the liquid from running into the ports.
3 Ways to Remove Scratches from Phone
Polish The Scratches on Your Phone to Make Them Disappear
While it is impossible to completely remove scratches, you can smooth out and minimize the edges of the scratch so that they are harder to see and feel. Before trying any of these screen repairs, turn your phone off and cover your phone’s ports with tape to prevent liquid from seeping into the phone’s components and damaging the phone.
Warning: Try these techniques at your own risk. Polishing could remove some of the oleophobic coating, a thin layer of material that allows your fingers to drift over the touch screen. Even with the gentle abrasive methods listed here, you also risk removing some of the coatings on the screen.
Polish Your Phone’s Scratches With Three Micron Diamond Paste
Diamond Paste is a fine powder made from diamonds that are used to gently sand and smooth surfaces, and can also be used to remove scratches from phone screens. Depending upon the depth of the scratch you may need to begin with a coarser paste and finish with a smoother paste.
1. Use tape to cover the unscratched parts of your screen to keep the compound from sticking to these areas. It’s best to repair one area of the screen at a time.
2. Diamond polishing kits usually come with a felt tool to apply the paste and work it into the scratch. Alternatively, you could use the eraser side of a pencil. Apply a small amount of the diamond polishing paste to your tool and work the compound across the scratch.
3. Work the paste into the scratched area from different directions and angles, pressing hard for about three minutes.
4. As the paste hardens, your scratches will appear to disappear. Wipe off the remaining paste and check the scratch.
5. This process may need to be repeated multiple times for thicker scratches.
Use Household Cleaners To Polish Away Scratches On Your Phone
Using a ratio of two parts powder to one part water, create a polishing paste using baking soda or cornstarch. The mixture should be thick and not runny. Use a microfiber cleaning cloth to rub the paste into the cracks.
You could also use a Magic Eraser sponge, slightly damp to polish out the cracks on your phone.
Do Screen Protectors Hide Scratches?
Screen protectors can be an effective way to hide minor scratches on your phone’s screen. The protector acts as a clear layer that covers the surface, making small scratches less visible to the naked eye. It provides a smooth and uniform surface, giving the illusion of a scratch-free screen. However, it’s important to note that screen protectors are not a foolproof solution for deep or noticeable scratches.
Can I Put a Screen Protector on a Scratched Screen?
Yes, you can put a screen protector on a scratched screen. Applying a screen protector to a scratched screen can serve two purposes. Firstly, creating a smooth surface can help hide the existing scratches. Secondly, it provides additional protection to prevent further scratches and damage. Ensure you clean the screen thoroughly before applying the screen protector to ensure a smooth and bubble-free application.
Will Liquid Screen Protector Fix Scratches?
Liquid screen protectors are primarily designed to protect against scratches and daily wear and tear. However, they are not specifically formulated to fix scratches on your phone’s screen. While some manufacturers claim that liquid screen protectors can fill in minor scratches, the results may vary, and they are typically more effective in preventing future scratches than repairing existing ones.
Notably, liquid screen protectors are applied by spraying or rubbing a liquid solution onto the screen, forming a hardened and transparent coating. A liquid screen protector is unlikely to remove or repair if you have deep or noticeable scratches. For significant scratches, exploring other scratch removal methods or seeking professional assistance is still recommended.
Seeking Professional Assistance
Fix My Gadget, a trusted phone repair service is an excellent choice for seeking professional assistance. Our skilled technicians have the expertise and tools to assess and repair deep or extensive scratches on your phone’s screen, ensuring optimal results and maintaining your device’s warranty if applicable.
Scratches are different from cracks. For more serious phone repairs, you may need to replace your screen – call us!
Credit: Susan J. Owens